Trailer Life Directory Open Roads Forum: Citation For No Toad Brakes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Citation For No Toad Brakes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
stevelv

Living on the island

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/10 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re: California Law on Trailer Brakes

CA DMV

lbrandt

Springfield, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/10 06:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never been checked, but I do have aux breaks and break-away.
If you wonder if your required to have aux breaks, check this site.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

Larry & Ann Brandt
FIND US HERE
Where we have been
1999 NRV Tradewinds 7371, W/300 CAT. if it ain't a CAT it must be a dog

07 Jeep Liberty
Chipper & Sally Ann the dog's , Spookie & Patches the cat's.
MotoSat/F1/.74/117W/DW7000
400 Watts Solar

Dumptrucker

San Rafael, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/10 06:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I'm not mistaken Ca. has a law that if you can stop your vehicle (RV) in 50 ft. at 20 MPH you don't need a supplementle braking system for a towed vehicle, but you need a brake system on a trailer over 1500 lbs. Go figure. I put one on our Malibu for the legal aspect traveling outside of my state. Like the man says, if you could of stopped sooner the wreck might not of happend. HR Endeavor 40 PDQ towing an 07 Malibu 3300 lbs.

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/10 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No

WTD44

Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/10 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having dragged everything from boats to toads for 25 years, I have yet to have one come unhitched and run off by itself. further, I have seen hundreads of folks come into RV parks with their toad brakes smoking. So, adding 2 + 2; I dont use a supplimental brake system. I guess that someday I might wish I had one, but driving a 40 foot moho towing another 25 feet of car puts you at risk far more than just driving a car. So, what ever makes you confortable is the right route. If you really want to be safe, STAY HOME & read a book

'07 H.R. Scepter > P A Q
Cummins 400 ISL
Alison 6 speed World
08 CR-V
Wife and,
Sparky the Wonder Dog

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/10 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live in California and I went to a CHP office and asked for the chapter and verse on towed vehicle supplemental brake system requirements. I was told by the CHP officer and given a copy of the MVC stating the performance criteria that determins wheather or not you need supplemental brakes. California is a RERFORMANCE state and there is NO weight requirement. I cannot at this time give you the section of the MVC dealing with supplemental brakes but if you do a search of my posts two or three years ago you will find it chapter and verse. There is a requirement to have supplemental brakes on a tow dolly over I believe 1500 lbs.

By performance I mean that you must be able to stop within a certain distance at a certain speed. The paramiters are almost impossible to measure at a check point on the highway and would require a lot of scientific measurement devices that they don't carry with them on patrol.

I do not mean to say that it is wise, safe, prudent or sound judgement to tow a vehicle without a supplemental braking system, it is just intended to clear up CAs law regarding the use of such systems. I beleive that WA and OR are also performance based states.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/10 10:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stevelv wrote:

Re: California Law on Trailer Brakes

CA DMV

Sorry Folks.....That section is for trailers.....no where in California Vehicle Code does it state that a towed car is a trailer, and no where in the California Vehicle Code does it state that supplemental brakes are required. California only requires that a combination of vehicles, in excess of 10,000 pounds, be able to stop within 50 feet or less from a speed of 20MPH. I challenge anyone to prove me wrong......Dennis

From the CVC..Section 26458(c)

(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following combinations of vehicles, if the combination of vehicles meets the stopping distance requirements of Section 26454:

(1) Vehicles engaged in driveaway-towaway operations.

(2) Disabled vehicles, while being towed.

(3) Towed motor vehicles.

Note the first sentence....Does NOT apply...

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Tom_Anderson

Concord, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/10 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sbishop wrote:

I live in California and I went to a CHP office and asked for the chapter and verse on towed vehicle supplemental brake system requirements. I was told by the CHP officer and given a copy of the MVC stating the performance criteria that determins wheather or not you need supplemental brakes. California is a RERFORMANCE state and there is NO weight requirement. I cannot at this time give you the section of the MVC dealing with supplemental brakes but if you do a search of my posts two or three years ago you will find it chapter and verse.

It's section 26454.

Jackha1949

Any Where USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/10 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is interesting that the chart shows Ohio doesn't require breaking systems, however, if you read their law it states "(4) When operated upon the highways of this state, the following vehicles shall be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and to hold the vehicle, designed to be applied by the driver of the towing motor vehicle from its cab, and also designed and connected so that, in case of a breakaway of the towed vehicle, the brakes shall be automatically applied:" The reason I picked Ohio is that I was at a rally last summer and one of the members of the chapter had gotten ticketed in Ohio for not having a braking system on his toad. A car coming out of a mall scraped the side of his MH just slightly, however, a HP saw it and stopped him and the car, the HP saw that he had no braking system and had his MH and toad towed and he could not get his MH or toad back until he had a braking system and of course pay a big fine! So they may not stop you for not having a braking system, however, if you are involved in an accident, your fault or not, you will be fined at the very least. So hearing from the horses mouth so to speak is believing it not just some rumor. So beware!

Jack & Peg
USN Ret AGC
K1ZMB
Sioux Falls, SD
06 Itasca Horizon 40KD

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/10 08:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the toad brake law article regarding CA law it states "Brakes must be sufficient to stop within a specified distance according to weight at 20mph."

Not sure whither it applies to the towing vehicle brakes only, or both towing vehicle & toad brakes.

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Citation For No Toad Brakes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Trailer Life Directory | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS