Trailer Life Directory Open Roads Forum: Roadtrek fridge performance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek fridge performance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Shunpikers

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/09 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone out there figured out the secret to getting optimum performance out of a Dometic fridge in a Roadtrek? We've had 4 different fridges in 2 Roadtreks over 10 years. In that time, we had one that actually performed well. (Of course it's the one we sold with the RV!!) Now we're thinking of getting a brand new fridge (first time) and wonder if we'll still experience poor performance. We mostly run on propane and it freezes stuff when it's cold outside and, despite all our efforts, can't keep cool enough when it's above 80 degrees outside.

Is it the fact that there's no roof vent? Do all b-class have similar problems? Would love to hear from anyone who has suggestions based on their Roadtrek experience.

Rolling Condo

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/09 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Got your answer here Snyders RV Refrigeration This was designed with Roadtrek and other side vent units in mind.I've added one to my refer. Helps alot in hot weather.

'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

Shunpikers

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/09 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. We'll look into it!

booster

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/09 08:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Snyder kit will help a lot, but of course, you still need to be level. We are in the process (nearly done) of installing a compressor style marine frig in our Roadtrek 190P. Uses a bit more battery, but no need to level, or switch back and forth on power source. Also cools much quicker and more consistently.

reppans

CT

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/09 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are getting a new one, you'll probably be pleased with the performance.

I wonder how much the previously owned B's, and potential for previous owners parking off level, have to do with degraded fridge performance? I have a new fridge, and If it is on, I usually have to worry more about food freezing in the fridge portion, than it getting too warm.

Don't recall it having any problems when parked all day in the sun on an 85-90 day (easily 100+ interior temps).

Barman

Ashland, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/09 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experience with the Dometic in our Roadtrek is that with the install of the Snyder's fan kit, it performs very well. However, even with the Snyder's kit if we get very much out of level front to back, it will still significantly degrade the performance. As long as we stay within 1 bubble of level, it does great, but more than that and it will start warming up in the fridge. Side to side has never affected the fridge, only the water drains. So we just make sure when we are in a location for very long we get it pretty level, and all is well.

Steve & Chris
2006 190 Versatile
Ashland, Ohio

thriftydutch

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/09 04:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would suggest changing to an all electric compressor fridge. Mine is 20 years old and only had 1 problem. Even than all I had to do was burp the fridge. I only have 2 batteries and never have to worry about being level. If this one should break I will install a bar fridge with freezer.

1990 L.E.R. Dodge B 250 Class B 17'

tandemrider

Everett, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/09 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thriftydutch, how big is your all electric fridge? Are you running it on 12V, or through an inverter?

TandemRider
'93 Roadtrek D190V gone but not forgotten
2006 Winnebago View

candlback

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/09 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thriftydutch: In addition to how big is your all electric fridge, do you have solar panels or just batteries? I too am getting tired of a warm fridge in hot weather and also having to worry about how level I am. I do a lot of "urban camping" and cannot put leveling blocks about or I will not be stealthy anymore.

2002 Roadtrek 190 Popular Chevrolet

Candlback

landyacht318

Near a large body of water

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/09 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know the last 2 questions were not asked of me. But here is a link so some of the Ac/Dc compressor fridges available.
compressor fridges

I have a 29 month old 1.7 cubic foot Norcold. It runs on 12 volts DC or 120 AC.

At first I thought my 130 watt solar panel might not be enough, but it more than adequate for my fridge, stereo, lights, TV and a 2 to 5 hours of laptop use each sunny day.

When the compressor is running it draws 2.7 amps, and at 75 degs f has about a 20 to 25% duty cycle. So it uses 18 to 35 amp hours a day depending on ambient temperatures and how often I open it and replace cold beer with warm. It does great cooling things down quickly.

I have added more insulation and internal and external fans that run 24/7.

It is great not having to worry about parking level, but the compressors do make noise and vibration, so that and increased Battery usage are the downsides compared to absorption fridges.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions

> Roadtrek fridge performance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Trailer Life Directory | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS