Trailer Life Directory Open Roads Forum: Mitsubishi Fuso FG 4x4 with service body and camper
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Mitsubishi Fuso FG 4x4 with service body and camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
kerryedwards

denver

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/09 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've tried to make the pictures bigger. Unsuccessful so far. If someone can help on that score I'd appreciate it. I'm picking up the pictures from my photobucket page.
Gets 11-14mpg depending on conditions. I drove the truck home from NC to CO empty (only the service body and a couple of oil tanks) when I bought it. Ride was horrible. Now that it's loaded and the tire pressures correct, ride is fine. For the most part it's about comparable to the 96 Suzuki Sidekick Sport I own.
Camper is a 95 Texson (same as a current Northstar). I built it with the idea of a multi-continent expedition camper. If my calculations are correct, it will fit inside a tall shipping container so it can be shipped without having to RORO. I had to make some modifications to the service body to get the camper to fit. I had to raise the bed to the level of the top of the wheel wells so camper would clear boxes and cut a section out of the back right box so the camper bulge behind the wheel well for the bath shower pan would fit. The raised floor gives me some storage below.

* This post was edited 07/03/09 10:40am by kerryedwards *

Murgatroid

Nevada City, CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/09 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kerryedwards wrote:

I've tried to make the pictures bigger. Unsuccessful so far. If someone can help on that score I'd appreciate it. I'm picking up the pictures from my photobucket page.

I checked on your photobucket page and the pictures there are small. Can you upload bigger pictures? Photobucket can even scale them for you. Seems like the mods here like the pictures to be no wider than 640 pixels. Or you can send any pictures you want posted to me and I'll get them up for you. Just PM me if interested.

-steve

2009 Northern Lite 9.6Q Classic
2012 Cyclone 300C
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB CTD 2WD for towing
2004 Ford F250 ExCab LB P/S 4WD for hauling

kerryedwards

denver

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/09 11:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's the uploading to photobucket that is causing the problem. I'm uploading large images to photobucket that turn out tiny once on photobucket.

kerryedwards

denver

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/09 12:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kerryedwards

denver

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/09 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kerryedwards

denver

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/09 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stroller

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/09 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice set up for overlanding without breaking the bank. There's something about the Fuso and Isuzu 4x4 (not available here) that gets my attention. Although Hackney's camper held up fine some worry the constant flexing on 3rd world roads might be hard on a US style TC. Did you put a spacer between the camper overhangs and the storage boxes to reduce the flex or go the other way so it has space and can't pound against the top of the boxes as it flexes?

Below 14 mpg if lightly loaded hurts the pocket a little but if traveling fully loaded with gear for months across South America or Alaska, no problem.

Sometimes I vision a Fuso with a purpose built camper or a flat bed with a TC type camper with straight walls to avoid the overhang shape.

Nice rig,
Stroller

Hallmark K2, 2007 Dodge CTD, Quad Cab

kerryedwards

denver

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/09 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stroller wrote:

Although Hackney's camper held up fine some worry the constant flexing on 3rd world roads might be hard on a US style TC. Did you put a spacer between the camper overhangs and the storage boxes to reduce the flex or go the other way so it has space and can't pound against the top of the boxes as it flexes?

You must not have read the most recent info on Hackney's rig. His frame failed in SA and he shipped the truck home and is considering what to do. There has been a lot of discussion on Expedition Portal about the problems people have been having with Fuso frames. I don't have a pivot frame on mine. There have been at least a couple of Fuso frame failures on pivot frame trucks.

There's space between the overhangs on the camper and the boxes. The AC on the Fuso appears to eat a lot of fuel.

I have no idea how long the camper will hold up on rough roads. It's an experiment.

Stroller

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/09 01:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry I wasn't more clear about that. I read about his troubles but I think a lot can be attributed to how he attached to the frame. One reason a flat bed or a bed like you are using looks attractive.
But - the truck camper itself that he put on his platform seemed to have held up to the abuse. I think his was a BigFoot, not sure though. And it traveled many rough roads down there. If the abuse opens up some seams a bit caulk em and keep going.

Stroller

RobertRyan

Australia

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/09 01:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

You must not have read the most recent info on Hackney's rig. His frame failed in SA and he shipped the truck home and is considering what to do. There has been a lot of discussion on Expedition Portal about the problems people have been having with Fuso frames. I don't have a pivot frame on mine. There have been at least a couple of Fuso frame failures on pivot frame trucks.

They seem to have no problem with the Canter, although they have adapted them as a Bushfire Light Tanker for some Bushfire Fire Brigades(Forestry type fires).
Mitsubishi flew a team of engineers out to Australia to observe the prototype light Tanker. They found they had to strengthen the frame in places as well as simplify the gearbox and electronic systems for a very hot fire environments.
They do use the 4 x4 Canter as a off road motorhome.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Mitsubishi Fuso FG 4x4 with service body and camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Trailer Life Directory | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS