Trailer Life Directory Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Onan 4000 Generator Maintenance
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Onan 4000 Generator Maintenance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
jbobst

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought our 2005 Four Winds about 6 months ago, and I really need to at least change the oil and air filter, as I don't know when the last time it was done. How critical is the oil type? I use Synthetic oil (mobil 1) on all my vehicles...not because of anything in particular other than peice of mind I guess. I would like to put Mobil 1 oil in the generator, but wanted some advice as to the oil weight. I assume they'll have Onan brand oil at camping world with the right weight and viscosity, so when I go buy the oil filter and air filter, I see what Onan sells and just buy the same weight with the Mobil 1.

I did read in a FAQ section on the Onan site, that gasoline varnish in the carburator could lead to the generator surging occasionally. It seems that mine does that occasionally, and I am wondering if anyone had ever cleaned their carburator out? Do you have to remove and disassemble the whole carburator, or is there a simpler way to clean it out?

Thanks!

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's an Onan Microquiet, then AFAIK:

A) There's no oil filter, because there's no pump to push the oil thru a filter.

B) The carb is non-rebuildable, so I doubt it can be taken apart to be cleaned. It's considered a 'replace-only' unit. Try some good fuel system cleaner. Either put a bunch in a part-tank of gas, or mix one can in a gasoline can, and feed that directly to the fuel pump.

This makes Onan's instruction to run it every month under 1/2 load during periods of non-use even more worth following.

Jim, "One good turn.... gets most of the blanket."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

jbobst

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a Microquiet unit. By the way, does anyone know if there are add on kits to help quiet the generator more than it already is? My father in law has a new 2008 class A with an Onan Gold 5500 (or 7000 maybe?) that is REALLY quiet. I have hear of a "quiet pac" before, but don't know if that is something I can add to my Onan Microquiet 4K.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/05/09 02:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The advice about the carb is right on....I was talking with a service tech, and he told me that just for kicks, he was going to try and rebuild an Onan carb (it was a slow day)...and after three attempts, went and replaced it with new. When he told the Onan Rep, the guy told him that they shouldn't be messed with...just replace them.

With that said, I agree that putting some carb cleaner in the fuel tank is a good idea, and run it every month, with a load on it (electric space heater in the winter, A/C in the summer).....and if you know that you won't be driving every month, I'd also recommend putting some "Sta-Bil" in the gas tank too.

Remember, the fuel pick-up is at about 1/4 tank, so it's always best to try to have the tank full when you pull into a campground, or return home.

As far as making things quieter....they have insulated blankets, but a lot will depend on just how much room you have around the genset, and how it might effect the engine cooling.

You sound right on the mark with the Mobil One.......I've got it in mine, but it came that way, and I'll be changing it in the fall, so don't know off hand what weight it is...sorry.

Good Luck with the MH...have fun!!

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 02:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would consider changing the oil, air filter, oil filter, gas filter (sometimes they don't come with one) and the plugs. Get your model/serial number and then go to the Onan Website - should be a plenty of info about the recommended maintenance for your particular generator.

Kevin

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 03:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Onan makes a small resonator that's shaped much like a 60's Cherry Bomb muffler. It can be welded into the exhaust pipe. It'll yield a small reduction in noise, and make maybe the noise less annoying.

From a post I did just this AM:

"I felt the same way about the 2.8 Onan in my little Tiger. But the Provan factory included the Onan installation manual with mine, and I took the time to read it, and compare it to how mine was actually installed.

Going strictly by what Onan allowed, I added a resonator, some sound deadening insulation, reduced the cooling opening in the door, and added isolation to the mounts. Going a little beyond the manual, I also added a SuperTrapp spark arrestor. I'm now down to 56 db(A) at 23', and it's much quieter inside as well.

The moral of the story is that the 'green box of noise' can be made to be _much_ quieter than most MoHo makers bother with, and it's not difficult."

You need to get the installation manual, and spend time studying it and your particular installation. Try www.funroads.com.; I think you'll need your actual unit's ID numbers.

Jim, "I tried to microwave instant coffee, and went back in time."

raywms

Dallas/Fort Worth

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/09 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do not use synthetic oil in your generator. I did and it caused me big headaches. Onan told me that the oil is too good. It will just blow past the rings on the piston and make a mess.

04 Jamboree 31
Trac Vision
Pressure Pro
Borg Valve Stems
02 Saturn SL2 Toad

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a cut and paste from the Onan site:

Q: Should I use straight 30-weight oil or is the multi-viscosity oil I
use in my vehicle okay?
A: For best generator performance, we recommend you use Onamax,™ the Green
Label Parts oil specifi cally formulated for RV generators. However, you can use
the same oil you use in your vehicle engine provided it meets or exceeds SG/
CE API specifi cations. To get you off to a good start, all new Cummins Onan
generators are factory prepared with Onamax 15W-40 oil.

Gasoline Engine Oil Quality – Use oil meeting any of the following API
performance categories: SJ, SL or SM where SM is currently the highest quality
available. Look for the “Energy Conserving” designation to optimize fuel economy.
Diesel Engine Oil Quality – Use oil meeting any of the following API
performance categories: CF, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 or CJ-4 where CJ-4 is
currently the highest quality available. The use of synthetic oil is not recommended.
The use of oil meeting API performance category CF-4, CG-4, CH-4 or CI-4 while
burning fuel with a sulfuric content greater than 0.5% or CJ-4 while burning fuel
with a sulfuric content greater than 0.0015% is not recommended as oil service is
negatively impacted.

Oil Viscosities –
NOTE: Multi-grade oils (such as SAE 15W-40) are recommended for year-round use in Cummins Onan
liquid-cooled engines, or as a good all-season oil for air-cooled engines.
NOTE: SAE-30 is the preferred summer grade for optimum oil consumption control in Cummins Onan
air-cooled engines.

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

jbobst

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 05:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That interesting that they DO NOT recommend synthetic oil. It seems like it wouldn't matter if you used it or not, and synthetic seems to hold up better over the long run (and less build up residue). Do you think it will actually hurt the generator if I use it?

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/09 08:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just changed the oil in my 4000. It calls for 10w30. I use the blend.
Remove the cover plate at bottom of gen. than the brass drain plug.
I use the same brand oil I put in my V-10.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Onan 4000 Generator Maintenance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 Trailer Life Directory | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS